Monday, December 13, 2010

Day 4: Your Parents

My parents are Dusty (Eugene) and Amanda Boyd.



















This picture was taken 4 years after my mom's accident!

My mother married my father at the wee age of 17 in 1963 and they've been together ever since.
My dad has worked offshore 7/7 for Chevron for years. He loves the outdoors and playing his electric guitar. I often fell asleep to BLARING AC/DC as opposed to lullabies as a child. He made sure we were in God's house every time the doors were open and for that I am thankful.
My mom was a homemaker until my little sister started school. In her spare time she loved to do crafts, garden, cook, be the head party mom for my school classrooms, teach Sunday school and GA's at church, and just be with her girls. She was the best mom ever! Once my sister started kindergarten she decided to go back to work. She worked as a teacher's assistant, pre-K teacher, and then head bank teller until July 7, 2005.
On that day, my mom nearly lost her life in a car accident. She had a severe brain injury and a broken vertebrae. The fact that she walks, talks, and functions today is an incredible MIRACLE made possible by THE GREAT PHYSICIAN. She was unconscious in University Medical Center for 2 months and then in rehab for 1 month before she finally came home. It has been 5 years since then and my mom is not the same. People see her and are astonished, which delights me. However, things are still not "fixed" and she has a really tough time with emotions and memory daily. Although at times I get discouraged - 1)I am SO GRATEFUL to simply have her here with us and 2)I will never lose hope in my Savior to continue healing my mother.















This was my mom 4 months after her accident.

Nothing has affected, changed, inspired my life as much as my mom's accident.
Today my mom is again a homemaker and enjoys cooking even more than she used to, I think!
The thing I am most grateful for regarding my parents, is that they raised me Christian. Thank you for teaching me about Jesus Christ, Mom and Dad!

I would also like to make a shout out to my incredible in-laws, who are also like parents to me! They welcomed me into their family a long time before it was ever legal. They treat me like one of their own and give me so much love and warmth! I would not be the same without their influence on my life. Thank you for accepting me and for sharing your son with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment